No matter how mild or horrific your accident may be, the first thought you have after an accident is to hire a lawyer. You may be on either side of the accident, but you need someone in your corner. To help you out we have highlighted some of the most common issues that can help you make the right decision. While every case is unique, there are a few similarities that can help you make a sound decision.
Before getting started it’s best to remind you that your and the other parties insurance company has a dedicated team of lawyers. Lawyers that get started evaluating the entire process before you even get a chance to put together a single thought. This is why we suggest you get in touch with an auto accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Steps To Take After A Car Accident
- Call 911 – It doesn’t matter who caused the accident, your first instinct should be to call 911. Getting help is the best way to ensure no one gets hurt, and anyone hurt can instantly get the care they need. Moreover, getting officers on the scene will help ensure every piece of information is being logged properly.
- Gather Evidence – Smartphones make it easier for you to gather evidence no matter where you are. If possible try to take as many pictures as possible. Capturing everything from the surroundings to the vehicles. The added details make a great deal of difference in the end.
- Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer – Insurance companies are known to find ways to reduce their liabilities. Commonly done by offering victims low-ball offers while making sure they feel trapped. These first few offers are just a fraction of what you might deserve. This is why it’s best to get in touch with an auto accident lawyer. Someone who can speak to the insurance company on your behalf, and make sure you get the best settlement possible.
Things To Avoid After A Car Accident
Now that you know the first three things you should do after a car accident, it’s best to know the things you should not do under any circumstances.
- Admitting blame without knowing full facts.
- Driving off without reporting your accident.
- Accepting a settlement there and then or the first offer.
These are the three most common mistakes made after a car accident. You may have a number of reasons to take on any one of them, but it’s best to keep it cool and go through a legal process. Allow yourself and others time to regain themselves and figure out what went wrong before you drive to a conclusion.
Your best bet is a local auto accident lawyer. Someone who understands state laws, and can deal with the insurance company lawyers. This way you will be able to clear your name if required and will be covered in case any other aspect comes to light. Having an attorney in your corner makes all the difference in the world, and is not something you should take lightly.